Saturday, October 10, 2009

Unbelieveable.

After being floored by Delilah's sudden acceptance of Christ after hearing us sing unto the Lord, Jesus did it again (somebody must be praying over there!)

While poolside, enjoying the end of the day with the Westminster gang, I was paying for a pizza we'd ordered from the bar. A man from India was also there, settling his tab and we said hello. I asked him why he was there (you don't see too many Indians in Uganda). He was on vacation, but living in Jinja (Chinese Restaurant from day 1) selling industrial hardware. Said he was there for the money. He asked why we were there. I told him we were sharing the grace of Jesus Christ.

I asked him what he believed about death and the afterlife. I expected him to say something about reincarnation or Brahmin religious practices, but instead he said, "I'll go to heaven." I said, "On what basis? If there is a gate there, and they ask you why you should get in, what will you say?"

Tough question, he said. Uncomfortable silence. I asked if he thought it was based on his good deeds outweighing his bad deeds. He nodded. I shared the fact that none of us is righteous enough to enter the presence of God. (Romans 3:23) All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. He agreed.

Then we talked about the penalty of sin being spiritual death/separation from God (Romans 6:23). He agreed.

Then we talked about God coming to earth in the person of Jesus Christ, living a sinless life, dying for our sin (Romans 5:8), rising from the grave. His eyes opened wider. He kept nodding.

His friends were calling him away. He stayed a bit more.

I said, "You know, God loves you very much and has made a way for you to come to him. You can't get there on your own. We all need Jesus."

He smiled. Left quietly, and glanced over his shoulder as he left.

God only knows what will happen next. All I know is I'm convinced that it doesn't matter if you're in a bar, at the store, digging a ditch or on vacation: every day is a good day to talk about Jesus.

No comments: