Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Good News and Bad News

The good news?  The 3 that were sick have turned the corner, praise God!  (and thank you for praying).  The bad news?  You’ve got 2 new ones to pray for!

Actually, there was A LOT of good news and bad news today.  (If you have clicked the “gospel we share” link to the right, you’ll know that’s all we talk about!)  Today was like a spring day in Oklahoma…ominous skies and thunderstorms.  But the good news was Carl and Ali spoke to 3,000 school children (plus people off the street) before the rains came down! 

Same story for the trail work and the crusade!  God gave us dry passage while going from house to house, then rain at break, then a break in the rain for the singing, dancing, testimonies (way to go Dan and Jayne!) and preaching (God used Treb’s gifts in a mighty way).  We are truly in awe of how many doors have opened against all odds. 

Doors are still closed, however, as the rumors continue to fly.  The enemy must be afraid and desperate of losing ground, because he has done a good job spreading lies about the church and the gospel.  Today, we were asked if we worshiped demons.   Of course, the same thing happened in Jesus’ day, and when the truth comes out, it only serves to glorify God.  

One woman heard the gospel today, and a very tall man came up to the team and said, “Thank you so much for sharing Jesus with her.  I have been trying to tell her God loves her, but she won’t hear me.”  Turns out, she just lost a child and was ashamed to come to church.   Her extreme pain was met by a well of compassion drawn only from the suffering servant, Jesus Christ.   By God’s grace, she now has hope.

The bad news at the prison never changes:  the government doesn’t take care of them.  All the government funding goes to pay the guards.  No food, no clothes, no care for the prisoner. The convicted (and accused waiting trial) only survive if they have someone on the “outside” to take care of their needs.  If their family is too far away, or they have no friends willing, they starve and deteriorate rapidly.  Only 20 of the 95 men in the prison today had shirts, and the rags they wore around their waist barely passed for shorts.  The words of Jesus take on a whole new meaning: “when I was in prison, you visited me.” 

The good news:  The prison ministry team brought 25 Bibles, 15 pounds of soap, a bolt of fabric, and staple food items…and they shared the gospel using words, too.

The bad news is so many people we visit are sick.  Basic hygiene and clean water would prevent most of the problems (we have drilled two dry holes for a water well), however, the good news is the medical clinic ministry begins tomorrow.  We’ve purchased enough medicine for 3 days of a free (government subsidized) clinic.  Health care is a premium in “the sticks.”  The Presbytery of Eastern Uganda is to be commended for its holistic gospel.  Faith and works…together.  Always.  All for the glory of God.  


The bad news?  Just one picture today.  It  should drive (!) you to prayer.  It’s representative of so many things.  The team is moving fast and working hard, giving 100% for Jesus.  The Spirit compels us to do as much as we can with the time given to us.  Bodies, health, and sleep are suffering for the gospel.  Of course, you could also pray for safe travel to and from the church site.  It’s a miracle our drivers haven’t swapped paint with anyone as fast as they drive around here!  The roads are narrow, bicycles and pedestrians crowd the shoulders, there are no seat belts, and people cut in front of you (on foot) in many near-miss situations.  The good news?  The picture is in Kilometers Per Hour. 

Bad news:  The internet is soooooooooooooo slow; our first crack at uploading a video took 4 hours and 5 tries to send about 3 minutes.  The good news:  it is a heartfelt thank-you from one of the pastors in the Presbytery.   Enjoy the brief statement from Pastor Steven Kalistas as he thanks YOU for your generosity, and explains how he shares this gift with the people of Mukongoro.   God be praised.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Praying for you all this day, that the Holy Spirit within will continue to do mighty works for the Kingdom in Uganda through you His servants. Praying also for those who are sick that God will heal quickly and prevent further issues. Praying for a hedge of protection around each one. Praying that Satan would be bound knowing with certainty that our Lord will win the battle. Praising God for your faithfulness to His call. Your brother through Christ Jesus,

Jim Ross

Timberly said...

Dear Sisters and Brothers,
Not an hour goes by without my prayers for you. I have a yellow bracelet on both arms so that if I look to the right or the left I remember you. I ask him for healing and protection, strength and power through the Holy Spirit to minister effetively in Jesus' name. I am also praying against the strategies of the evil one and his strongholds in Uganda.
In our precious Savior's name,
Amen

Unknown said...

Emotion floods my soul as I read your daily blogs. As I sit here at home in the USA in such comfort, with pets at my feet that are living a more privileged, decadent life than the content Ugandans you see, it makes me ask myself what did I ever do to deserve this? Absolutely nothing.

I have watched the videos over and over. I am amazed that they are THANKING us for what WE have given up?! Little, to nothing, have I ever truly sacrificed or truly done without for the sake of someone else. Your experiences bring to me a humble, grateful heart. It also brings reflection. I can't be with you, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the many sacrifices you have made to be where you are today. With those sacrifices you are able to bring hope to those without hope.

I pray that with every path God takes you down this next week, those that you greet will with open hearts and minds hear and accept the message you bring, as first given to us by our Lord, Jesus Christ.

You are in my heart and in my prayers,

Lynn Lee

Anonymous said...

My soul is thrilled when I read about the progress each and every one of you is making in bringing Christ's Kingdom to Uganda. Praise God! My prayers are with you all for your recovery and protection. I know "the bad news" can be a little overwhelming but I pray you be encouraged by 2Cor.4:7 and by the thought that our personal inadequacies make room for God to do even more through us that He may receive all the glory. Blessings and love in Christ,

Chloe F.

Edmond Ink Slinger said...

I've been praying here and there for the team, for wellness, for safe travel, for God to prepare the hearts of those hearing the gospel for the first time. I praise God for what the members of the Trinity are accomplishing through you. And the enemy is on the run in Uganda!

Mark Longname

abbyandycarstenandrew said...

i wish my post could be as well manicured as the others, but im pretty sure its not going to be. however, its amazing how many people are thinking about you and praying for you here in oklahoma city. i walked through church today and EVERY person i saw, stopped me and asked about you all with tears in their eyes and i, in turn left the church with mascara all over my face. i pray you all are feeling better soon. my mom thought i was kidding when i said "take duct tape, and use it over your mouth in the shower" we miss you all.Personal note: Nanny, your boys are doing great. grandad is coming over for dinner tonight. you are the most amazing woman i know. there is no way i could have ever done what you all are doing, and i am so proud of you and ali. Give out some snuggles from our family. we think about you all and the lives you are changing every hour of every day. stay strong, i wish i could hug you! get some rest tonight! we love you all!

Susan Pike said...

". . .the most amazing thing about amazing grace is the chance to give it out; maybe that's what love is all about" Song lyrics that I love so much and that keep going through my head and heart as I read about your trip and the wonderful things you all are doing in Uganda. What a blessing you all are to the people there! You are never far from my thoughts and I am in constant prayer for your health and well-being, and the message that you are spreading. I am awed by the numbers of people you are touching! I have been struck by Rhonda's emails that say how little the Ugandan people have and yet how happy they are. Makes me wonder about our so-called 'riches' and our levels of stress and distress. Please Lord, safe travel for these servants and bless the message they carry.

Blessings and love to all.

Susan Pike, WPC-OKC

Anonymous said...

I love you daddy! I can't wait to see you again! Hope you are having a great time.
Love,
Claire Wideman :)